Hello again and welcome back! I do a nice amount of traveling especially internationally and I always get asked questions on how I do it so I decided to share my tips with you today. Ever since I was little, the family and I were always traveling and I’ve been hooked ever since. Being that my dad is in the Air Force, traveling was something he instilled in us at a young age and my aunt Kim always told us to go see the world and absorb as much as you can because there is so much more out there for you to learn and see. Their advice definitely stuck with us because my sisters and I always look forward to traveling to a new destination(s) each year.
I have always had passion for exploring different cities, meeting new people and trying different food and now that I’m able to do it on an international level, it has really increased my love for traveling. International travel is something I highly recommend everyone doing and I also have some tips so that you get the most out of your trip.
1. Always Look For Bundle Deals: Before we start, make sure you get a passport because without one you won’t be leaving the United States unless you are going to Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. Go take your passport photo at Walgreens, then go to any USPS location with $150 money order and fill out the application and you will get your passport back in about 4-6 weeks later. It can be longer just depending on when you applied for it so the earlier you get it, the better.
Now I know that international traveling can become pretty pricy but no worries, there are plenty of ways to travel on a budget. My favorite sites to look for bundle deals are Groupon , and Cheap Carribean and for flights I always use Expedia, Travelocity, Kyak, Tripadvisor, and CheapTickets. If you don’t want to do a hotel, also look into Vrbo, NoirBnB, or AirBnB for homes/apartments that you can rent out while you’re there.
If you don’t have the funds to pay for a trip in full up front, seek out a travel agent in your area and you can set up payment arrangement. Also, make sure you budget accordingly. Before you book anything, do your research on where you want to go & and what you want to do while being there that way you will have an idea on how much you will be spending.
2. The More the Merrier! When I go out the country, I usually go with my two older sisters and my friends and I are planning a big girls trip too. Not only is it more fun and safer when traveling to foreign places in a group, but it is also cheaper! All hotel/transportation costs would be split multiple ways which saves you a lot of money in the long run. Just make sure you travel with the right group of people because you don’t want any Debby downers ruining the trip.
3. All Inclusive is a major key: Because why would you want to spend more money if you didn’t have to? Having an all-inclusive package is great because your meals (and some/all drinks), and often transportation to and from the airport is usually included. Being those are a few less things you’ll have to pay for a la carte, you can spend more money on excursions, souvenirs, or my personal fave… shopping!! =D Also, wherever you go just make sure you do have some cash on you because the international rates to use your credit/debit cards can get very pricey.
4. Safety first!: Always make sure you and your group stay together at all times and if there is some separation, just make sure everyone in communication with your whereabouts. Also, most hotels come with a safe that you make the combination up to so I highly recommend you putting your valuables in there (passport, jewelry, electronics etc) once you leave your room for the day. And speaking of passports, always make a copy & carry one with you just in case you lose yours and also give a copy to a family member back home.
5. Have FUN!!: You’re on vacation so live it up! Try new things, explore, eat new foods and just appreciate all of the beautiful culture and scenery around you. If you want to disconnect from all social media while you’re there, that’s fine but make sure you take lots of cool pictures and videos from your trip so that you can share them when you get back. Vacations are a great way to just recharge, relax and regroup so just make sure you take full advantage of that.
And there you have it! These are some of my key tips to having an unforgettable trip and I hope they have helped you. If you have any additional questions about international travel, please don’t hesitate to ask and I would love to see some of your vacation adventures, so make sure you tag me!
Until next time loves..
“To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson